Select Page

City of Erlanger Building/Zoning Dept. 305 Commonwealth Ave. Erlanger, KY 41018 Phone:  (859) 727-7992 Fax:  (859) 727-7944 Office Hours Monday-Friday 8am – 5pm



When do I need a building permit?

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

What is exempt from a building permit?

One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet

Fences not over 6 feet high

Oil Derricks

Retaining Walls that are less than 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge
Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1

Sidewalks and Driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or story below and not part of an accessible route
Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work

Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that are less than 24 inches deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons and are installed entirely above ground

Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery
Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems

Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one and two family dwellings

Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of Group R-3 and U occupancies

Nonfixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches in height

Who is responsible for obtaining a permit?

The owner of the property is ultimately responsible for securing a building permit. However, this may be delegated to the architect, contractor or other agent.

What's the status of my permit?

You can either contact our front desk at 859-334-2218 for status updates or you can track your applications, plan review and inspections online. The online program is designed to let you check the status of your application by address, lot or contractor. Go to and select departments, than Building Inspector. Once you are there you will go to Permits and select permit status.

How can I pay for my building permit and how much will it be?

Payment may be made in cash, check or credit card (minus American Express) for the amount due. All building fees must be collected at the time of the permit submittal. If paying by check please make them payable to “Boone County Fiscal Court”. If paying with a credit card, it must be done in person so the card holder can sign the receipt.

Details about the cost of your permit can be provided by the Boone County Building Department Staff at 859-334-2218 or you can reference our Residential and Commercial fee schedules on our website.

How long does it take to get a permit?

Once the Planning & Zoning Commission has approved your permit application and your paperwork has been forwarded to the Building Department, it is usually three (3) to seven (7) business days before you may expect your permit to reviewed and/or issued; and ten (10) to fifteen (15) days for commercial permits (depending on the size of the project).

*Please allow the same amount of time even if you do not need Zoning approval

What happens if I begin work without a permit?

Any person, firm or corporation who begins work for which a permit is required without first obtaining a permit may be subject to an additional fee established by the building official. The additional fee shall be in addition to and equal to the amount of the original fee but not less than $500, per Section 108.2 of the 2007 Kentucky Residential Code and 2007 Kentucky Building Code.

How long is a permit valid?

All permits expire by limitation if work has not begun within six (6) months from the date of permit issuance, or when the work has been discontinued for six (6) months. However, if the owner requests a renewal prior to the expiration of the permit, the permit can be extended for an additional six (6) month period. A permit may be renewed for only two extension periods.

May I fax over the building permit application and plans?

No! Since we require permit fees up front, all applications and plans need to be delivered in person Monday – Friday from 8:00 to 5:00 or they can be mailed to our address: Boone County Building Department c/o Permit Clerk 2950 Washington St. Suite 312 Burlington, KY 41005.

How do I get my Certificate of Occupancy?

You must schedule a Final Inspection through the Front Desk at (859) 334-2218. Once the project has been completed and ALL inspections have been passed, you will receive a Certificate of Occupancy/Certificate of Completion in the mail within 7 business days.

The Building Department may grant a temporary certificate of occupancy before the completion of the entire work covered by the permit, provided that such portion or portions shall be occupied safely. The building official will set a time period during which the temporary certificate of occupancy is valid.

How can I schedule an inspection and what inspections are required?

Please call our direct line at (859)334-2218 to schedule all inspections. To schedule an inspection please have your eight (8) digit permit number in hand. Also a 24 to 48 hour notice is required for all inspections. We do not schedule same day inspections! Your required inspections depend on the project that is being completed. Please check with the Building Department Staff and they will go over your required inspections.

How do I register as a contractor?

All general and subcontractors that do work and/or have a business in Boone County need to obtain a Boone County Occupational License. For a summary of the ordinance and the required forms and fees please contact the Occupational License Department at (859) 334-2144.

How do I know what the right codes are that apply to my project?

For more information pertaining to the latest Codes and Standards, please call the Building Department at (859) 334-2218 and ask to speak to a Residential or Commercial Building Plans Examiner.

Do my plans need to be stamped/signed by a Kentucky Engineer/Architect?

Not always! The only times you will need a Kentucky Engineer/Architect are for the following;

  • Residential Building with 12 or more units
  • Assembly, Business and Mercantile uses with a calculated occupant load over 100
  • Factory, Industrial & Commercial Storage uses over 20,000 square feet in area
  • Churches with a calculated occupancy load over 400 or over 6000 square feet in area
  • Retaining walls 4’ feet and higher
  • Pole Signs 12’ feet and higher
  • Log Homes
  • Footing/Foundation repairs
  • Pre–designed Trusses

Basically anything that is out of scope of the code book would require a Kentucky Engineer/Architect. Please contact our office at 859-334-2218 and ask to speak to a Plans Examiner if you are not sure.

*All Hospital (I-2), Daycare (E), and High Hazard (H) uses are reviewed by the Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction, not the Boone County Building Department.

What is the Affidavit of Assurance

This form is required to document that unemployment insurance and worker’s compensation are being provided for project employees.

This form is also required for any homeowner’s that are acting as their own general contractor.